Well hey there, 2019! A new year is finally here and waiting for you to crush it! The start of a new year is often overwhelming, especially when you set a ton of goals for the year ahead. While the intentions are good, goals tend to fall through because they become unrealistic. Sometimes, things don’t always go according to plan. But not to worry! There are steps you can take to help you maintain these goals for the long-run!
Your goals will be more achievable if you set specific, realistic, and approachable goals. Try setting a few goals at the beginning of each month instead of making a laundry list of things to do at the beginning of the year. This makes your goals feel less daunting and helps keep you accountable.
Making small changes every day can have a bigger impact down the line. When it comes to your diet, small changes, such as starting your morning with a nutrient-dense smoothie or incorporating more fruits and veggies into every meal, are great places to start. Here on NutriLiving, we have an array of recipes that are nutritious and make eating fruits and vegetables super simple and delicious!
Here are some easy and approachable ways to start eating healthier:
Limit Highly Processed Foods
Highly processed foods, such as fast food, packaged desserts, and processed deli meats, contain higher amounts of sodium, added sugars, and calories while skimping on fiber and nutrients. When you’re looking for convenient, ready-to-eat products, opt for those that contain recognizable, whole ingredients.
Have a Nutrient-Dense Smoothie Everyday
If you have a tough time getting enough fruits and vegetables into your diet, have a smoothie made with one cup of leafy greens and ½ to one cup of fruits to help increase your dietary fiber consumption. Smoothies make for a delicious and easy way to get those extra servings of fruits and veggies in. For an added protein boost, try our organic plant-based protein blend that adds a delicious vanilla flavor to any smoothie.
Here are four nutrient-packed smoothies to help get you started:
- Lean Green Spinach Machine: This smoothie is like a green juice but better! If you feel a little bloated after all the holiday eating, this is an excellent veggie-filled smoothie to get you back on track.
- Pineapple Cucumber Hero: A delicious green smoothie, packed with pineapple, cucumber, and spinach, that has the perfect amount of sweetness!
- Energy on Demand: Creamy and satisfying, this is a great smoothie to start making this year!
- The Stronghold: This chocolatey and protein-packed smoothie has a hidden vegetable that you would never be able to taste!
Eat Real, Whole Foods
Real, whole foods include those foods that are whole and unprocessed in their natural forms such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, lean meat, and fish.
You don’t need to spend hours in the gym to get some movement in. If you work behind a desk and are mostly sedentary during the day, try getting up every hour or so to take a quick walk around your office. Go outside during your lunch break for some fresh air and a change of scenery. Doing yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises can help relieve stress and provide some mental clarity. Plus, it’s good for the soul.
The most important takeaway is to treat yourself and your body well. Everyone is unique and special, so be kind to yourself and those around you. Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and incredible year ahead!
Recipe: Creamy Green Strawberry Dream Serving in this recipe:1
- Calories: 236.6
- Total Fat: 3.6 g 5.5%
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g 1.9%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 358.7 mg 14.9%
- Total Carbs: 45.7 g 15.2%
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g 39.4%
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Protein: 8.1 g 16.2%
- Vitamin A: 481.9% Vitamin C: 244.1%
- Calcium: 68.5% Iron: 26.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.