It seems only natural (pun intended) that an increased fascination with “clean beauty” and the things we put on our bodies echoes the growing interest around food, nutrition, and the things we put in our bodies. And it turns out that they’re not completely mutually exclusive.
While studies regarding the exposure to certain worrisome compounds remain conflicted, we do know that some products can penetrate the skin. And just like within our food supply, there are some potentially hazardous compounds frequently used in beauty and personal care products that can pose a threat to our bodies and the environment. Given that the skin is the largest organ on the human body, and that most of us use upwards of ten or more personal care products in a day – starting with shampoo and wrapping up with toothpaste – the growing attention is warranted.
In efforts to clean up your beauty routine, you can make natural beauty products at home with a NutriBullet. Not only do you know what you’re putting in each concoction, but each ingredient is so pure, you could eat it (although we don’t recommend it)!
5 DIY Beauty Products to Make in Your NutriBullet
- Oat Face Mask: No need to buy expensive beauty products when everything you need for a glowing complexion can be found in your kitchen! Whip up this 4-ingredient natural face mask with acne-fighting ingredients like oats and honey.
- Body Sugar Scrub: Exfoliate the dead skin away with this homemade body scrub. It’s especially cute as a gift; simply put the contents in a mason jar and wrap with a ribbon.
- Green Tea and Cucumber Toning Face Mist: We’ve all heard of the health buzz surrounding apple cider vinegar and green tea, but did you know that both ingredients are also thought to offer skin benefits, as well? Apple cider vinegar is believed to help unclog pores while green tea may provide anti-aging benefits. Combine both with cooling and hydrating cucumber in this 3-ingredient face mist.
- Strawberry Hair Mask: It seems to be an ongoing joke that the uses for coconut oil are endless! You can now add hair care to that list. Treat your tired and dry hair to a moisturizing combination of coconut oil and honey with antioxidant-rich, sweet strawberries. The apple cider vinegar is thought to be especially helpful for cleaning your scalp!
- Avocado Banana Mask: Treat dry skin to the ultra-moisturizing properties of grape seed oil, banana, and avocado.
We recommend using each beauty product immediately after making and storing any leftover you may have (such as with the body scrub or face mist) in the fridge and using within seven days.
Recipe: Creamy Green Strawberry Dream Serving in this recipe:1
- Calories: 236.6
- Total Fat: 3.6 g 5.5%
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g 1.9%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 358.7 mg 14.9%
- Total Carbs: 45.7 g 15.2%
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g 39.4%
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Protein: 8.1 g 16.2%
- Vitamin A: 481.9% Vitamin C: 244.1%
- Calcium: 68.5% Iron: 26.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.