Let’s face it – we are all in the same “super busy” boat these days. We find ourselves eating on the go far more often than we would like. We spend so much time away from home and end up eating in our cars, grabbing snacks at gas stations, and even visiting the fast-food drive-thru. When we’re trying to keep up with our busy lifestyles, it can be difficult to stay on a healthy track. I’m going to break it all down for you and share some tips to make it a little easier to eat healthy while on the go!
The good news is that there are often nutritious options available. Since more people are grasping ahold of a healthy lifestyle nowadays, more healthy options are becoming more accessible. Still, eating healthy is not always easy. Sometimes, you will need to plan ahead and pack a meal or snack for the road. In other situations, you can find what you need as long as you know where to find it.
- Trail mix (homemade or high protein, low sugar store-bought varieties)
- Dried fruit and nut mixture
- Nuts (i.e. 15 to 20 almonds in a small container)
- Sliced apples and peanut butter (or other nut butters)
- Whole-grain pretzels and hummus (small hummus packets are great for travel)
- Instant oatmeal packets (add sliced almonds and dried fruit)
- Snack bars (high protein and all-natural ingredients)
- Cheese stick
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich with veggies and mustard
- Mixed Salad with chicken
- Broth-based soups (vegetable soup, lentil soup or chicken noodle)
- Fat-free latte
- Seasonal mixed fruit cup
- Pre-cut veggies and hummus
- Pretzels and hummus
Pack a cooler in your car and you can bring almost anything!
- Greek yogurt cups
- Cheese stick
- Fresh fruit (apples, bananas, peaches, plums, berries, etc…)
- Chicken sandwich
- Quinoa salad with diced chicken, onions, spinach, red bell peppers, and olive oil dressing
Mini Marts and Gas Station Pit Stops
- Dark chocolate squares
- Pre-cut vegetables and hummus
- Greek yogurt
- Whole fruit
Drive-thrus and Chain Restaurants.
- Grilled chicken or fish (they will almost always take special requests)
- Salad with chicken, shrimp or tuna with an olive oil-based dressing on the side
- Broth-based soups
- Eggs with whole-grain bread
Do a grocery store run and load up on healthy items to store in your mini-fridge.
- Mini bagels and light cream cheese
- Peanut butter and whole-grain crackers
- Instant oatmeal (use your coffee makes to heat up water)
- Salad with chicken
- Kefir (drinkable yogurt beverage)
- Greek yogurt
By implementing healthy travel habits and knowing where to find healthy options on the go, you will never have to put your health goals on hold during your busy schedule. Learning to eat healthy no matter where you are the true secret to a long-term healthy lifestyle!
Recipe: Creamy Green Strawberry Dream Serving in this recipe:1
- Calories: 236.6
- Total Fat: 3.6 g 5.5%
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g 1.9%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 358.7 mg 14.9%
- Total Carbs: 45.7 g 15.2%
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g 39.4%
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Protein: 8.1 g 16.2%
- Vitamin A: 481.9% Vitamin C: 244.1%
- Calcium: 68.5% Iron: 26.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.