The Big Game is a chance to indulge in savory dips and dishes that aren’t always the best for us. It’s okay to indulge, but it’s unnecessary to go crazy. Here are some pointers and reminders to help you have a happy, healthy get together.
7 Tips for a Healthy Game Day Party
- Replace Sugar with Fruit – Fruit salads are always good replacements for heavier desserts at parties. Embrace seasonal fruits like pears, oranges, and grapefruit with a bright fruit salad.
- Munch on Veggies – Fresh veggies are great substitutes for heavy, greasy chips and cookies. Veggies will give you all the fiber and less bloat, which is perfect for cheering on your favorite team.
- Use the Grill – The grill is your friend because you don’t need to add any oil to cook chicken or burgers on it. Plus, you can try fun and flavorful recipes with vegetables like eggplant, zucchini and bell peppers. You can even grill fruits!
- Stay Hydrated – Drink plenty of water throughout the day by alternating between alcohol and water. Every other drink should be a glass of water for optimal hydration. Being dehydrated makes you crave more salty foods than your body really needs, so all the more reason to keep drinking water!
- Get Everyone Moving – Before kick-off, suggest your own game of flag football. You can divide teams based on this year’s finalists. Nothing like some fun sportsmanship to get you in the mood for the Big Game.
- Make Your Own Dips – It’s no secret store-bought dips are full of added sugars and preservatives. So the best alternative is to make your own. Here are a few of our Game Day favorites:
- Forgive Yourself – The Big Game, like many holidays, is a day you should ideally relax and enjoy. Living a healthy lifestyle is about learning how to accommodate for things that are out of your control. You will be in situations where there won’t be foods that fit your eating habits but get creative and make it work for you.
If you eat a hamburger with a white bun instead of a whole grain one, a few chips, and a piece cake your friend brought to the party, it usually isn’t a big deal. It’s just one day, and you will live! Don’t let one slip-up cause a crazy binge and ruin your whole week. Remember that moderation is key and that you should enjoy the game with those around you!
Recipe: Creamy Green Strawberry Dream Serving in this recipe:1
- Calories: 236.6
- Total Fat: 3.6 g 5.5%
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g 1.9%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 358.7 mg 14.9%
- Total Carbs: 45.7 g 15.2%
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g 39.4%
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Protein: 8.1 g 16.2%
- Vitamin A: 481.9% Vitamin C: 244.1%
- Calcium: 68.5% Iron: 26.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.