Skip the store-bought and pre-made salsa, and make your own homemade version. This recipe calls for canned tomatoes, which offer an added nutrition bonus! When tomatoes are heated during processing or canning, the powerful antioxidant, lycopene, becomes more bioavailable to our bodies, offering potentially more cancer protection and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- 1/2 Onion, raw – yellow, cut into 2 quarters
- 3 Garlic, clove
- 1/2 cup Cilantro – packed, no stems
- 2 Anaheim Pepper – quartered
- 1/4 cup Chile de Arbol, dried – toasted
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice – or one lime, juiced
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 cup Tomatoes, canned – diced
- Add all ingredients in order listed, except diced tomatoes, into the pitcher. Pulse 3 times until ingredients are minced down.
- Add diced tomatoes. Pulse 3 times until all ingredients are broken down and are incorporated into a salsa consistency.
- Pour into a serving bowl, garnish, and enjoy with some traditional tortilla chips!
Recipe: Creamy Green Strawberry Dream Serving in this recipe:1
- Calories: 236.6
- Total Fat: 3.6 g 5.5%
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g 1.9%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 358.7 mg 14.9%
- Total Carbs: 45.7 g 15.2%
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g 39.4%
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Protein: 8.1 g 16.2%
- Vitamin A: 481.9% Vitamin C: 244.1%
- Calcium: 68.5% Iron: 26.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.